Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:13:03 -0700
From:      <dariop@webnx.com>
To:        Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, Dario Perovich <dariop@corp.webnx.com>
Subject:   Re: move data pool to pool in same tank, free space not recovered.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:57:36 +0200, Peter Schuller
<peter.schuller@infidyne.com> wrote:
>> I used mc-light to try to move about 3.6tb of data from /storage to
> /storage2 in the same tank. I had about 1.2tb of space free, it copied
> 1.2tb of data and then ran out of room.  /storage shows 2.4tb of data and
> /storage2 shows 1.2tb but now there's only 460 megs of free space.  I
> deleted a random file and space is now 1.1gb.   The pool/tank was created
> with 7.0-RELEASE and imported into 8.0-CURRENT-200806 (since 07 wont
> install and 08 has no amd64).  Also yes, I have confirmed the data is no
> longer, at least ls'd, in /storage
>
> I assume you are *moving* the files and not copying?
>
> It may be obvious but: Do you have snapshots of the file system on
> which your deletes are not recoverying space?

I actually don't use snapshots on it.  All the data that shows up in
/storage2
is gone from /storage as far as I can see.  This was a simple highlight
many
directories and then move function in midnight commander.  Nothing exotic
except for how much data was being done.  This is a very simple pool,
nothing
fancy all default, just a file dump for the most part.  I can't figure out
how
to recover the data, a scrub locked the pool randomly, no error, just can't
get
in or ctrl-c/z the ls.  It only happens on /storage which is why I wanted
first test moving things out to /storage2 to see if that made a difference.

Dario