Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 12:19:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mohacsi Janos <mohacsi@ik.bme.hu>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why not use crypt() written by Kris Kennaway?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Mohacsi Janos wrote:

> 	I saw the initative of Kris Kennaway to modify the password scheme
> in the FreeBSD (integrated blowfish, SHA-1, and new DES).
> What happened with it?

It needs to be polished up a bit. It's still on my list, and I hope to get
to it in the next month or two.

> In the CVS tree the SHA scheme marked dead. Why?

Because the tree version of SHA-1 passwords was incompatible with my new
one and I didn't want to introduce a new feature in 4.0 only have to
deprecate it soon after and live with the legacy.

> Is not possible to distribute FreeBSD with DES/Blowfish integrated since
> the beginning of this year? Don't we want to mantain cross platform (at
> least cross BSD) password schemes? In the FreeBSD 5.0?

It will most probably appear in 5.0 but not before, unless there is
overwhelming demand for it once it appears in -current.

Kris

----