Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 07:22:54 -0600
From:      "Owen Newnan" <onewnan@uswest.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Craig Struble <cstruble@vt.edu>
Subject:   Booting off SyJet SCSI on Titanium w/ ATI enabled

When my motherboard died, my local upgrade shop recommended the QDI
Titanium 1b as a good and especially reliable replacement.  I searched the
FreeBSD archives and was disturbed to find that Craig Struble had bought
such a board and was unable to boot off SCSI with his ATA drives enabled.
I contacted him and confirmed he did get that to work.  This concerned me
because I'm used to booting several OSs including FreeBSD off my Syjet.

After thinking it over I bit the bullet and bought the board.  I find
however that I am able to boot off the SyJet but I must select the
non-default "Resources Controlled by Auto" option in the (Award) BIOS.
It's not sufficient to specify the IRQ as "PCI/ISA PnP"; the HBA and it's
drives are accessible that way but the SCSI BIOS fails to initialize.  This
also requires the HBA configured to "treat removable drives as fixed."

My configuration for the record is:

QDI Titanium 1b+ Motherboard with K6/266
2 ATA drives on primary controller, ATAPI on secondary
Adaptec AHA-2940AU HBA on IRQ 10 with SyJet, CD and Zip on IDs 4,3,5
respectively
Boot Manager is System Commander Deluxe

By the way, for some reason the FreeBSD default boot prompt points to the
wrong drive with FreeBSD on the SyJet in this configuration; I have to
enter
     sd(0,a)kernel.

Note: I'm not currently subscribed to questions, so kindly send me email if
you need more info about this...