Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 01:39:29 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware meltdown or cosmic ray?

On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 00:35:31 -0700, John Reynolds wrote:

> [ On Saturday, April 29, Kenneth D. Merry wrote: ]
> >
> > One thing you didn't mention was what version of FreeBSD you are using.
> >
> > I suspect you're using a version that has block devices.  The above command
>
> dad-nabit ... I *KNEW* there was something gnawing at me to put in there before
> I hit "send" .... yes, I'm using 3.4-STABLE which still has the block devices.

Makes sense.

> > some sort of cabling or termination problem.  That may or may not be the
> > case here, I dunno.
> >
> > It may be a cabling or connector problem that is triggered by using the
> > cdrom drive.
>
> Hmmmm. I sure hope not .... this has never happened before ..

Well, if it is, the fix is usually as easy as a new cable, or re-seating
the connectors, or moving it away from the power supply.

> > In any case, you should probably use the raw device, and a multiple of the
> > sector size to get an image of the disc, like this:
> >
> > dd if=/dev/rcd0c of=disc.iso bs=64k
>
> So this 'dd' command will work with 4.0 (and -current)?

It'll work with 3.4, which has the block devices.  rfoo is the
character/raw device.  In -current, just plain 'foo' is the raw device.

> > I doubt that will fix the problem, but it would be interesting to see if
> > you can use the above command to try to reproduce the problem.  If you can
> > reproduce the problem, I would start looking for cabling or termination
> > problems.
>
> OK. I'll try and read in the image again with the raw device and see what
> happens. It's been acting like a champ since it freaked (and I've since copied
> 6 discs using the exact same method ... wierd).

It may be an intermittent problem, who knows.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org