Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2001 00:50:20 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -CURRENT boot1 broken?

John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> > This suggests that boot1 is broken.
>
> Ugh, it shouldn't be. :(

Well, I guess it isn't.  When I moved my system to a new disk, I
created all filesystems with 16384/2048.  Pretty useless for the
root filesystem, I admit, except for consistency's sake.  Turns out
that boot1 doesn't handle this.  Jumping through some hoops I have
moved / back to 8192/1024 and it works fine now.  *Sigh*

As a side effect of experimenting with various boot combinations,
I'm confused about where the different components are loaded from.
Experimental evidence suggests this:

1. At the SRM prompt, booting from a particular drive will load the
   bootstrap (boot1) from there.
2. boot1 proceeds to load /boot/loader from the same drive.  You
   can specify a different file name, but there appears to be no
   way to qualify this with a drive.
3. loader pulls in the kernel from da0, even if booted from a
   different drive.
4. The kernel mounts da0a as root device.

I'm surprised by the step from any drive (1, 2) to the fixed(?)
assumption of da0 (3, 4).