Date:      Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:53:55 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Beech Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: /dev/ath log messages

Sam Leffler wrote:

> Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>> Beech Rintoul wrote:
>>
>>> I have noticed that for about the past month or so I've been getting
>>> hundreds of the following every day in /var/log/messages:
>>>
>>> +ath0: link state changed to DOWN
>>> +ath0: link state changed to UP
>>>
>>> It doesn't seem to affect connectivity, but it's really annoying in
>>> the security report. Is there anything I can do to stop this? I'm
>>> running -CURRENT from yesterday. I have built Sam's new drivers, but
>>> this problem started long before that and was not affected by the
>>> upgrade. The lease on the AP I'm connecting to is good for 24 hours
>>> so I don't think that's an issue. I looked at the traffic with
>>> ethereal and everything looks normal. I'm getting sorely tempted to
>>> would ask here first.
>>>

>> I've noticed something recently too - my ath device frequently stops
>> working, and I get this in messages:
>>
>> Jan  6 06:19:48 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
>> Jan  6 06:20:35 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
>> Jan  6 06:20:56 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
>> Jan  6 06:21:06 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
>> Jan  6 06:21:59 neutrino last message repeated 2 times
>> Jan  6 06:22:25 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
>> Jan  6 06:23:03 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to UP
>> Jan  6 06:41:35 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
>> Jan  6 06:42:03 neutrino kernel: Memory modified after free
>> 0xc5402000(2048) val=11600000 @ 0xc5402000
>> Jan  6 06:42:04 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to UP
>> Jan  6 06:42:08 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
>> Jan  6 06:42:09 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
>> Jan  6 06:43:12 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to UP
>> Jan  6 06:43:17 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
>> Jan  6 06:43:17 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
>> Jan  6 06:43:33 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
>> Jan  6 06:44:10 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
>> [and so on]
>>

>> I would say this started happening for me in the last 2 weeks.
>

> Device timeouts should not happen; it means the driver submitted a
> packet to the card and didn't get a tx complete interrupt back in 5
> seconds.
>
> It's unclear if the "modified after free" msgs is related and w/o more
> diagnostic info it's really hard to say why you're seeing device
> timeouts.

Ok - wasn't sure if was related or not, so I posted it anyway.  Before
about 2 weeks ago, ath has been rock solid for me.

>> I'm running -current from Jan 4th.  All kinds of system information
>> is here:
>>
>> http://googlebit.com/freebsd/
>

> Most of the useful info is not there.  No boot dmsg or indication of
> what your network config is.  No indication of the hal version or the
> mac+phy revs. yada yada yada...

Yea, I see that now.  Sorry - here's dmesg.boot:
http://googlebit.com/freebsd/dmesg.boot-20060106

And some additional info:
/etc/rc.conf snippet:
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP"

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
    ssid="centtech"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key0=0E...CD
    wep_tx_keyidx=0
    scan_ssid=1
    priority=5
}

$ kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   36 0xc0400000 7707a4   kernel
 2    2 0xc0b71000 1e198    linux.ko
 3    1 0xc0b90000 125a0    if_ath.ko
 4    3 0xc0ba3000 26b70    ath_hal.ko
 5    2 0xc0bca000 472c     ath_rate.ko
 6    1 0xc0bcf000 55e8     snd_ich.ko
 7    2 0xc0bd5000 268b8    sound.ko
 8    1 0xc0bfc000 56e4     acpi_video.ko
 9    3 0xc0c02000 63c94    acpi.ko
10    1 0xc0c66000 2730     acpi_sony.ko
11    1 0xc0c69000 2fac     wlan_wep.ko
12    1 0xc0c6c000 416c     atapicam.ko
13    1 0xc0c71000 3694     ucom.ko
14    1 0xc0c75000 9454     cpufreq.ko
15    6 0xc0c7f000 d3b0     netgraph.ko
16    1 0xc0c8d000 8550     ng_ubt.ko
17    1 0xc0c96000 68f8     vkbd.ko
18    1 0xc53bd000 6000     linprocfs.ko
19    4 0xc56be000 2000     ng_bluetooth.ko
20    1 0xc56ec000 d000     ng_hci.ko
21    1 0xc5712000 10000    ng_l2cap.ko
22    1 0xc5722000 1a000    ng_btsocket.ko
23    1 0xc5744000 4000     ng_socket.ko

I have several AP's I roam on, but I am about 10ft from the closest AP
which I seem to stick with.  This also happens at home where I have a
single AP (same brand and model).

Unloading and reloading the modules helped once if I recall correctly,
but not usually.  Rebooting the computer does help, but only for some
period of time, sometimes many hours, but usually not that long.

Anything else I can provide?

Thanks!
Eric