Date:      Tue, 16 May 2023 18:14:11 +0200
From:      Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
To:        Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bsdio.com>
Cc:        Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@shrew.net>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org,  Elena Mihailescu <elenamihailescu22@gmail.com>, Mihai Carabas <mihai.carabas@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: ARM64 virtualization?

--00000000000055ebcd05fbd1dd38

Hello Rebecca,

i will be happy to help you. what system you will buy ? i want to evaluate
the cost. If it is affordable for me I will also buy the same and i could
test your code or something else task that you need. i ve been always
interested in the bhyve development.

Il mar 16 mag 2023, 17:41 Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bsdio.com> ha scritto:

> On 5/15/23 13:58, Matthew Grooms wrote:
>
> > On 5/15/2023 2:39 PM, John F Carr wrote:
> >> Is there any active work on getting bhyve virtualization working on
> >> 64 bit ARM?  I see some work was started a few years ago (e.g.
> >> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26976,
> >> https://bhyvecon.org/bhyvecon2016-Mihai.pdf).  It seems to have been
> >> abandoned or at least stalled.
> >>
> >> I may be able to help.  It's not a project I can take on myself.
> >
> > Porting bhyve to arm has been one of the longest running UPB projects.
> > You can find more info on the history here ...
> >

> https://wiki.freebsd.org/DevSummit/202303?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=Presentation+-+bhyvecon.pdf
> >

> > Your best bet is probably to take a look a the following review opened
> > by Andrew Turner late last year. His work is based on the original
> > port by the UPB team ...
> >
> > https://reviews.freebsd.org/D37428
> >
> > I can't speak to the current state of this work. From what I recall,
> > there were several attempts made by UPB to collaborate, but they
> > failed to get a response. Perhaps he/they can chime in here with more
> > detail.
>
> I'll be getting an Ampere system in the next few weeks and hope to be
> able to work on the Aarch64 bhyve code.
>

> --
>
> Rebecca Cran

--00000000000055ebcd05fbd1dd38

o">i will be happy to help you. what system you will buy ? i want to evalua=
te the cost. If it is affordable for me I will also buy the same and i coul=
d test your code or something else task that you need. i ve been always int=
an &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rebecca@bsdio.com">rebecca@bsdio.com</a>&gt; ha sc=
ritto:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8e=
x;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On 5/15/23 13:58, Matthew Gr=
ooms wrote:<br>
&gt; On 5/15/2023 2:39 PM, John F Carr wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Is there any active work on getting bhyve virtualization working o=
n <br>
&gt;&gt; 64 bit ARM?=C2=A0 I see some work was started a few years ago (e.g=
. <br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26976" rel=3D"noreferrer n=
oreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26976</a>, <br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"https://bhyvecon.org/bhyvecon2016-Mihai.pdf" rel=3D"nor=
eferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://bhyvecon.org/bhyvecon2016-Mih=
ai.pdf</a>).=C2=A0 It seems to have been <br>
&gt;&gt; abandoned or at least stalled.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I may be able to help.=C2=A0 It&#39;s not a project I can take on =
myself.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Porting bhyve to arm has been one of the longest running UPB projects.=
&gt; You can find more info on the history here ...<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://wiki.freebsd.org/DevSummit/202303?action=3DAttachFi=
le&amp;do=3Dview&amp;target=3DPresentation+-+bhyvecon.pdf" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://wiki.freebsd.org/DevSummit/202303?a=
ction=3DAttachFile&amp;do=3Dview&amp;target=3DPresentation+-+bhyvecon.pdf</=
a> <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Your best bet is probably to take a look a the following review opened=
&gt; by Andrew Turner late last year. His work is based on the original <br=

&gt; port by the UPB team ...<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://reviews.freebsd.org/D37428" rel=3D"noreferrer noref=
errer" target=3D"_blank">https://reviews.freebsd.org/D37428</a><br>;
&gt;<br>
&gt; I can&#39;t speak to the current state of this work. From what I recal=
l, <br>
&gt; there were several attempts made by UPB to collaborate, but they <br>
&gt; failed to get a response. Perhaps he/they can chime in here with more =
&gt; detail.<br>
I&#39;ll be getting an Ampere system in the next few weeks and hope to be <=
br>
able to work on the Aarch64 bhyve code.<br>
-- <br>
Rebecca Cran<br>

--00000000000055ebcd05fbd1dd38--