Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 1996 23:20:00 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Suitable Laptop

> Just as an observation, for people who want portable BSD machines, a visit
> to  http://www.primenet.com/~acme/ may be illuminating, _particularly_
> the bit about their 'knock-down-kits'.  They're also promising 1024x768
> mid-late this year.

No offense, but a 22 lb. box doesn't fit into my idea of 'portable'.  I
can get a NEC that weighs about 6lbs with all of the features of their
portable minus the expansion slots.  And, the 'knock-down' kit starts at
19 lbs., which is still pretty heft.  I just can't see dragging one of
these around the airport, and I don't even want to think about battery
life. :)

In any case, the trade rags I read are claiming two big changes in
portables this year.

1) Intel is making a laptop motherboard, which should bring the prices
   down a whole bunch.  Intel realizes there is money to be made in
   laptops, so they are going to jump in and make things cheap enough so
   that vendors *must* buy their hardware to stay competitive.

2) New LCD technology.  IBM has some boxes out with a 12.4" displays,
   and 1024x768 are rumored to be in testing right now.  And, there is a
   (really!) new LCD screen that IBM is testing internally that actually
   folds up that might go into production some time next year.

Things are looking up.  Now, if we could only get folks to do as much
R&D into memory and batteries so we could actually *use* these really
fast CPU's w/out requiring really funky memory systems and heavy
batteries.

Nate