Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 2015 11:16:57 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        freesbd-arm@freebsd.org,  "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: some general questions regarding freebsd on rasp pi

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:50 AM, John <freebsd-lists@potato.growveg.org>
wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm in a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation with regard to installing
> freebsd
> on a raspberry pi 2 b+. This pi as I understand it is 64-bit, has 1GB RAM.

Its still a 32-bit arm processor, best supported by the armv6 FreeBSD port.
You cannot run arm64 on it because it isn't a 64-bit processor.

> I want to use it to run exim, sshd, mutt, slrn and a few other bits. I've
> been
> looking for a repository of info for all things freebsd-arm but haven't
> come up
> with much useful and *recent*. Would be grateful if some kind soul could
> answer
> the following:
>
> 1. is it just a question of grabbing the iso, burning it to sd card and
> rebooting the pi?

Yes.

> 2. if [1] is true, for this 64-bit pi, do I use
> FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-arm-armv6-RPI2-20150826-r287169.img.xz
>
> OR
>
> FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-20150818-r286893-memstick.img.xz
>
> given that I want to run 64-bit?

You can use either. But there's no way to run 64-bit on the core that's
in the RPi2. You simply can't do that, no matter how much you might
want to :)

> Is there a how-to or walk-through for arm/arm64 that is recent? If there
> is, I can't find it.

The handbook information on creating SD images from the images
the release engineer makes is good.

Warner