Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 2021 12:49:42 -0800
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rasberry Pi 4 has no USB

Peter Cornelius <pcc@gmx.net> writes:

> [Retransmssion, stupid HTML mails]
>
> G'day, Carl,
> =C2=A0
> On 2/28/21 11:26 AM, Carl Johnson wrote:
>> I have an 8GB RPi 4B that I am trying out, but it has no USB response at
>> all.=C2=A0 [...]
> =C2=A0
> I second the suggestion to do a brief trial with Raspbian or so.=C2=A0 I
> currently run mine under -current as below, but can confirm that I
> have been able to run it since 13 with USB keyboard and mouse. I
> currenly am logged in via the net, so without further USB devices, at
> least the hubs should be present:

I had tested it with Raspbian, and everything worked properly.

> [root@rpi4 ~]# usbconfig =C2=A0
> ugen0.1: <0x1106 XHCI root HUB> at usbus0, cfg=3D0 md=3DHOST spd=3DSUPER =
(5.0Gbps) pwr=3DSAVE (0mA)
> ugen0.2: <vendor 0x2109 USB2.0 Hub> at usbus0, cfg=3D0 md=3DHOST spd=3DHI=
GH (480Mbps) pwr=3DSAVE (100mA)
> =C2=A0
> [root@rpi4 ~]# uname -a
> FreeBSD rpi4 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #1: Tue Feb 23 02:30:31
> UTC 2021=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 root@rpi4:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64=
/sys/GENERIC=C2=A0
> arm64
> =C2=A0
> I can share a 14.0 image I used to initially boot if you have
> somewhere to push it
> (FreeBSD-aarch64-14.0-GENERIC-a63eae65ff8-RaspberryPi4.img, seven and
> a half gig, roughly; an xz. I'd expect at around two).
> =C2=A0
> I did, though, have to do a couple of tries with Raspbian initially to pu=
t a recent firmware onto my RPI4B8GB.
> =C2=A0
> HOWEVER.
> =C2=A0
> I also have an odd observation which is that there is NO OTHER USB
> device BUT the above and my mouse/keyboard. This is quite odd since I
> do have more devices connected (most notably a umass
> JMicron-JMS561-based device [1]) and naively hoped that also on arm,
> USB devices would at least show up as ugen-something. Well, at least
> keyboard and mouse did work, did they not?
> =C2=A0
> I did boot with rasbian, all comes to life instantly and
> beautifully. I even was able to update some firmware on the
> JMS-thingo, see the disks, all blinkenlights there. Back to FreeBSD --
> again, silence. I now really am scratching my head and also have run
> out of ideas... though kind of luxury, compared to you, I guess.
> =C2=A0
> Any help appreciated, and Carl, as written, if you want my image, where s=
hould I put it?
> =C2=A0
> Cheers,
> =C2=A0
> Peter.
> =C2=A0
> [1] https://www.jmicron.com/file/download/1033/JMS561_Product+Brief.pdf

There is another response that states this is a known problem that will
be fixed in -RC1, so I will wait to test that one.  Maybe your problem
will be fixed with that one also.  Meanwhile, I will just go back to
Raspbian until -RC1 comes out.

Thanks for your information.

--=20
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org