Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 07:34:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry Bell <jerry@wally.bellnetworks.net>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw and firewall questions - getting some strange packets

For the most part, you are right.  This is MS induced.  Ports 137-139 are
the netbios RPC ports (TCP and UDP).  Anyone going to a web site of your
running IE will most likely try to also make a RPC connection.  You can
safely discard them without logging.  I would log failed attempts at other
ports, to show you when you are being scanned/attacked.

Fragments are somewhat normal, but since there are some attackes based on
them, it may be best to block them and see if anyone complains.  (Also,
look at what ports are being dropped, and from who they are originating.)

Jerry
http://www.bellnetworks.net/cs