Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:18:52 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LOCALBASE vs PREFIX

In message <vqcog0p68cy.fsf@silvia.hip.berkeley.edu> Satoshi - Ports
Wraith - Asami writes:
: But to really fix the problem, we need to force all ports into
: separate PREFIXes and require that they work even if they are
: installed elsewhere.  This means something like GNU stowage (real
: files in separate hierarchy per port, symlink tree from PREFIX) and
: much more rigorous testing.
:
: Of course, this layout will have other benefits such as ease of
: switching between multiple versions.  Are people willing to go for it?
: If so, I can produce some prototype code in a few weeks.

We (Timing Solutions) like to have a setup that looks like the
following.  We were going to see about producing some code, but aren't
sure how easy/hard it will be.

	/software/dist/${SW}-${VER}/<normal tree here>

we then make symbolic links from /software/dist/${SW} to
/software/dist/${SW}-${VER} for that software that we want to be the
default.  We also have symbolic links in /software/{bin,lib,share,etc}
to the specific version when we "install" them.

We were thinking of having symbolic links from the
/software/dist/${SW}-${VER}/{bin,lib,etc} to those packages that the
port depends upon.

Once we had that, building would be easy.

I know this is somewhat fractured.  It sounds somewhat like what
you've talking about.  We'd be interested in at least havnig the
ability to do this.

Warner