Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:53:40 +0100
From:      Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot@lphp.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cdrom hangs FreeBSD boot

Hi :)

I'm using FreeBSD-5.2-RELEASE-p2 and I'm experiencing a very serious problem.
When my cdrom is connected (slave on first IDE slot), FreeBSD hangs on boot
at:

Timecounter "TSC" frequency 2399937676 Hz quality 800
Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec

There's no error, no panic, no messages whatsoever, it just stays like this
and stop booting.
I set IDE1/slave to NONE is my bios, so the cdrom would not be discovered on
boot (temporary solution until it works), but I get the same problem... it
just hangs.
For now, the only solution is to unplug the cdrom... :(
Just to make sure this was not hardware related, Linux and Windows boot fine
on the same box with the cdrom pluged-in. FreeBSD also boots fine when the
cdrom is alone (slave or master) on its IDE slot.

If you have any idea I would really appreciate.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Antoine