Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:45:47 -0500
From:      "Thompson, Jimi" <JimiT@mail.cox.smu.edu>
To:        "Ben Paley" <ben@spooty.net>, "freebsd -questions@" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Your 3rd and last chance to help me with vmware

<SNIP>

bash-2.05b$ uname -a
FreeBSD potato.hogsedge.net 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Tue Jun
22=20
07:07:08 BST 2004
root@potato.hogsedge.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/POTATO =20
i386
bash-2.05b$ pkg_info | grep vmware
vmware3-3.2.1.2242_7,1 A virtual machine emulator - a full PC in a
window

</SNIP>

Ben,

To expand on what a previous poster mentioned, Unix isn't M$.  FreeBSD
doesn't use you as an unwilling guinea pig to test out a new OS.
Installing the "current" version isn't for the faint of heart.  If you
install "CURRENT", that doesn't mean it is the latest production version
of the OS.  It's an Alpha (as in Alpha, Beta, Gamma) test release to see
how it the OS responds when users start trying to do things to and with
it.  I'm sure that there is an "official" definition for the 3, but I
don't ever recall seeing it, so I've made up my own which fits pretty
well.  FreeBSD has 3 types of distros - "CURRENT", "STABLE", and
"RELEASE". In order of increasing stability, they are: =20

"CURRENT" =3D currently in development (Alpha) and by far the least =
stable
of the 3

"RELEASE" =3D released to the populous at large (Beta) and fairly stable
but may have some issues=20

"STABLE" =3D well, just that, stable and the production release of the =
OS=20

If you have a machine that you actually _use_, my advice is that you
should definitely not run "current".  While you will get the same kinds
of responses that you typically get from the M$ OS, it's probably not
what you want a "production" box, hence the reason that you're using
FreeBSD to begin with.  We have some VERY vanilla web servers here that
run 4.9, but again they are very basic and it doesn't take a whole lot
to get apache and mod_perl to work properly.  Since you are running
VMWare and doing some unusual things with your system, you should
consider rolling back at least to 4.9 and maybe even to 4.10 which is
the most up-to-date "STABLE" distro.   =20

HTH,

Jimi