Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 14:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        james@nexis.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk

 * That's the OS date.  I'm thinking of the version of bsd.port.mk that they
 * have.

Well, we do update OSRELDATE more frequently than before now.  But
that's really not the point.

 * That way people who just sup ports and never get updates to stuff in
 * /usr/share/mk will not be able to make new ports, but will be told "Time
 * to Upgrade!"

Whoever sups ports and doesn't get the latest /usr/share/mk (or better
yet, my "2.2-stable quick upgrade kit") should be shot.  Aren't there
big warning signs everywhere (like in the ports page)?

 * In the port's Makefile, you'd put

 * BSD_PORT_MK_REL_REQ=	1997051600

I'm against this change.  The latest ports available by sup/ftp
require, by default, the latest bsd.port.mk.  There really is no
reason why we should go out of our way, adding that line to every
single Makefile that uses a new feature of bsd.port.mk, to tell people
what is stated over and over in our documentation and is so easy to
"fix".

(The version of the system itself is a different story, as that can't
be so easily changed.  That's why we go out of our way to support
"top" and others.)

What we should do, IMO, is to make sure people understand that they
need the latest bsd.port.mk to have any chance with the latest ports.
I noticed it is not stated prominently in the handbook's "ports"
section, I will change that.

Satoshi