Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:54:26 -0500
From:      "Kristopher Yates" <kris_yates64@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jerrymc@msu.edu
Subject:   Re: growfs HELP

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I was thinking I could rewrite my partition table to what it was originally,
then growfs using the empty partionable space.. but I dont exactly know how.
  I just had some docs I found online (URL is below).  Before I did fdisk
-s, the 2.888GB was an empty partition of the drive where I could have
created a new partition.. but instead I did fdisk to merge it all into the
same partition.  The docs I read said to do that, then growfs..  I just
didnt understand the vague explanation of doing the math to determine the
correct number of sectors to pass to growfs.

The docs I was using: http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200111/growfs.html

I know it is possible without doing all that you suggested.  It should be a
matter of just executing growfs properly and I'm done.  Otherwise, it would
be easier to just do a fresh install than to do all that you suggested.
Makes sense to me.  I'd rather not have to reinstall.

My idea was to post here and get a better understanding, growfs and be done
with it.  I didnt expect comments from the peanut gallery; ie.

>By the way, those are pretty small drives.   I don't see any
>on the market nowdays less that 18 GB and more likely larger.
>Maybe you need some new hardware.
>///jerry

Not everyone has a kush job at the SCNC working with universities.

A) Why does a box that is just running NATD and portsentry need an 18GB hard
drive and a faster processor?

B) Maybe you need to give me some money so that I may afford to build the
fancy firewall/gateway that you suggest.  I almost appreciate your reply but
found your final remark to be rather condescending.

My hardware is fine.  It works and its all I have.  This firewall box has
been online 24/7 since 1998 running FBSD just fine.  Blow the dust out once
a year and "keep on trucking".

Michigan has the 2nd worst economy in the US.  I would think you would be
more understanding of my situation.  Unfortunately, you have proven me
wrong.

Thanks to the FREEBSD community for continuing to be the leader in
backward-compatible support for old hardware.  Long live the Pentium 60 and
the 640 ATA controller! ;)

Cheers,

Kris