Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 09:18:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        sfarrell@farrell.org
Subject:   Re: RealPlayer 5

On 3 Jun 1998 sfarrell@farrell.org wrote:
> Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I mean it's not like it would be a difficult task or anything, if
> > the Linux version almost works (and that seems to be the case) then
>
> What problems were you having with the linux version?

I'm not sure what problems I was having, but I remember it not being
perfect for me when I tried it. This was a while ago though.

More importantly, even if the player works 100% perfectly under Linux
emulation, it would be better if software was actually developed for
FreeBSD. With binaries being available that will work without the
installation of many other packages.

To make FreeBSD an operating system to choose, right now anyone who has
not used FreeBSD much might not know that the linux emulation is that
good. People choose software on what they know about it and peope will be
choosing Linux over FreeBSD because of software availability.

It's not a major problem, but having software come out with in-built
FreeBSD support is actually a good thing.

	Steve

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/