Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2001 09:58:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lee J Carmichael <lcarmich@wamnet.com>
To:        Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl, Expect and ^M's

Hello Chris,

Since you want to do it in expect (or tcl which is expects language) use
tcl 'regsub' and the rough sytnax would be:

set row "The Cat Shat In The Hat^^Bad Cat^^Baaaaaad Cat"

regsub -all {\^\^} $row "\r" newrow
^^ this will return number of replacements

puts $newrow
^^ this outputs oddly with that replacement in the tclsh but I think this
is due to the '\r' with a normal character 'r' it seems to output fine.

Just as the normal disclaimer, you mileage may vary depending on wind
speed, sun spots and the like.

Take Care,
--------
Lee Carmichael		WAM!NET Inc.
System Engineer		655 Lone Oak Rd Building E
651-256-5292		Eagan, MN 55121