Date:      Fri, 08 Mar 2002 19:32:01 -0700
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
Subject:   Re: 1.3.1p6 dies sigbus with threads

Stacy Millions wrote:

> Another data point, I have a simple test program that has the same
> result (as my kids would say, "java goes 'trip, thud'") just by using
> SecureRandom (who fires of a whole load of threads). You have to
> run it about 50 times, but eventually it will dump core. I made
> it a Swing app to get the additional AWT and friends threads to help
> speed up the "trip, thud" process.

I took some time (can you say "was frustrated doing other things" :-)
to try and track this down a bit more. I modified my test program to
fire up a bunch of noise threads (much like what SeedGenerator does)
and it increased the likelihood of a core dump (to about 1 in 5 instead
of 1 in 50). The stack trace is the same in all cases. The annoying part
is, if I run in java_g, I don't get a core dump! I hate bugs like that.

-stacy

--
You'll see it's all a show. Keep 'em laughing as you go.
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

Stacy Millions                                       stacy@millions.ca
Millions Consulting Limited