Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 1998 14:39:32 -800
From:      walton@nordicdms.com (Dave Walton)
To:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boot banner (securing FreeBSD)

On  1 Feb 98 at 16:59, David E. Cross wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Karl Pielorz wrote:
>
> > You could always set a BIOS password on the machine, make sure the case is
> > very well secured (back to padlock again) - and disable the machine booting
> > from the Floppy drive - which at least leaves it free for usage once booted?
> >
> Yes, this is what has already beeen done (BIOS password, with disabled
> floppy drive for booting), but this is uselesss, as The FreeBSD boot-block
> allows you to load the kernel from an arbitrary device (per the /boot.help
> file), a person just need to have the install disk, and the fixit disk,
> when the machinne comes up wait for the FreeBSD boot prompt, place the
> install disk in the drive, enter -fd(0,a)/kernel... and viola, you have
> root on the system without ever cracking a screw on the case.

This really depends on what BIOS you have.  I've seen PCs that have
two BIOS passwords - one for access to the BIOS settings, and one for
booting.  If you get a system with such a BIOS (and lock the case),
they'll need to know the boot password before they can get to the
FreeBSD boot prompt.

Dave

Dave Walton
Webmaster, Postmaster                   Nordic Entertainment Worldwide
walton@nordicdms.com                          http://www.nordicdms.com