Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 21:22:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   VIA VT82C686A sounds terrible

Question for those on the list who have this chipset, it seems that the
newpcm driver is either over or underestimating its buffer when playing
sound using the 82C686A onboard sound hardware. This is on 4.3-STABLE
built march 28.

Low overhead programs like mpg123 will skip occasionally, while programs
like aviplay will lose synch between audio/video at an increasing rate,
and on the extreme, XMMS is impossible to use.

I haven't found much in terms of BIOS settings that will cure it, as
they boil down to 'enable/disable'. Suggestions welcome on this.

Please let me know if you're having a similar experience.

Thanks!
Brad