Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2014 13:04:14 +0700
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>
To:        Tijl Coosemans <tijl@freebsd.org>
Cc:        office@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devel/icu update nuisances

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 10:27:58PM +0200, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> I suspect you have the COLLATION_FIX option enabled in devel/glib20.
> This makes everything that links to glib20 also link to icu.  Because

Yes, that's probably the reason (and a lesson I learned to never enable
collation fix again), but my question is different: why legacy libraries
that are copied to compat/pkg are missing symlinks?

> this option is off by default these ports don't get a revision bump
> when icu is updated.

Yes, this is fine and understandable.  I actually do not want to update
all ports every time something stupid like icu gets a bump.  All I want
that old applications remain working by being able to find libraries in
/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg.  I have a mixture of old and new packages on
my laptop at any given time, but icu is the *only* one that constantly
breaks everything once it's updated. :(

./danfe