Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:28:12 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Matthew Luckie <kluckie@ihug.co.nz>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aic6360

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 11:41:09 +1200, Matthew Luckie wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm not sure if cards with the aic6360 chipset are supported in freebsd.
>
> aic0: <Adaptec 6260/6360 SCSI controller> at port 0x340-0x35f irq 12 on isa0
> aic0: aic6360, dma, disconnection, parity check
>
> Anyway, i have two ISA scsi controllers with this chip on it - the mighty
> aha1502i SB and the equally mighty aha1505.  Both of them are jumpered to
> irq 12 and port 0x340.
> I am wanting to run an old 1gb scsi drive in my pc that will hold /usr/src
> to free up space on my 2gb IDE drive so i can install more ports.
> I am running FreeBSD 4.4-RC cvsup'd 5 days ago.
>
> da0 at aic0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
> da0: <CONNER CFP1060S 1.05GB 2035> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da0: 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 8), Tagged Queueing Enabled
> da0: 1013MB (2074880 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 1013C)
>
> this drive had a fat partition on it; i copied all my data off it and then
> added the disk to freebsd with /stand/sysinstall as laid out in the
> handbook.
> the drive now has a freebsd file system on it.
> everything was going good with the drive and the cheap controller until i
> wanted to put usr/src on it.  to start with i did this:
>
> cd /usr && tar -czf src.tar.gz src/
>
> i then copied the 85mb tar over to the 1gb drive.  the tar went over
> perfectly (sequential I/O).
> then i tried to extract the tar.
> the drive will work for about 10 seconds doing heavy random i/o and then
> hang.  the light on the front of the drive remains on for about 10seconds
> and then goes off.
> I get messages such as the following:
>
> Aug 29 22:43:53 lycra /kernel: (da0:aic0:0:6:0): ccb 0xc0a8a000 - timed out,
> nexus 0xc0bd7800, phase 0xc6, state 4
> Aug 29 22:45:08 lycra /kernel: (da0:aic0:0:6:0): ccb 0xc0a8c400 - timed out,
> nexus 0xc0bc1000, phase 0x84, state 4
>
> While the machine is still responsive to do anything else, if i try and
> shutdown -h now the machine it doesnt seem to ever shut down, and i have to
> power cycle it.
> I am reasonably sure that I have the scsi bus terminated correctly: i have
> tried with a terminator and a zip drive that can be jumpered to terminate.

Well, here's something to try:

camcontrol negotiate da0 -T disable -a -v

Then try extracting the tar file and see what happens.

There are two basic possibilities here.  The first is that that drive
doesn't handle tagged queueing very well.  The second is that the driver
isn't doing the right thing.

This may fix it in either case.

> for what it's worth, i tried compiling just the aic device in without any of
> the other controllers with SMP and when the kernel booted it panic'd at the
> copyright line with uptime 0s.
> if this is not supposed to happen i am happy to help debug this by actually
> getting a full copy of the panic message by hand and posting it seperately.

That is kinda weird.  I'm not sure it'll work that early in the boot
process, but you might want to try putting DDB into your kernel config file
and see if you can get a stack trace.

> Any help is appreciated.
> if you could cc: me that would be helpful.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org