Date:      Sun,  1 Oct 1995 21:12:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert N Watson <rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 will require a minimum of 8MB for installation.

Excerpts from internet.computing.freebsd-hackers: 1-Oct-95 Re: FreeBSD
2.1 will requir.. dennis@etinc.com (874*)

> >On Sat, 30 Sep 1995, dennis wrote:
> >>
> >> NO!!!!!!!! NFS is the best and fastest way to load semi-custom systems.
> >
> >    I agree, but if we have to choose, I'd lose NFS first too.  How
> >many first-time users (those who will be baffled the most by the 8-meg
> >requirement) have access to an NFS server with the FreeBSD distribution
> >ready of installation?
> >--

> Great Idea! Lets lose the established users who are pushing for the O/S to
> support the idiots. Let's eliminate those that are building systems based on
> FreeBSD in hopes of luring the occasional one-time user.  This is a great
> business decision.

How about two boot disks, then?  An installation-by phone/etc disk with
ppp/ftp support, and a mnetwork version for 8 meg+ systems that has nfs
and the ethernet drivers..  Of maybe just an NFS install disk and a
non-nfs install disk.. Assumably no one would nfs over a ppp line (bad
assumption, but ok, I think).
----
    Robert Watson (rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu) * Double major: IDS/CS * H&SS
          http://www.watson.org/	robert@fledge.watson.org