Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:07:23 -0700
From:      John Nielsen <john@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPv6 multicast routing

No takers on -net, how about -questions?

> On Dec 18, 2014, at 9:11 PM, John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> wrote:
>=20
> Does anyone do IPv6 multicast routing on FreeBSD? If so, what software do y=
ou use? Any caveats or other things to be aware of?
>=20
> The only options I have seen are all in net/mcast-tools and I'm having som=
e trouble with each of them. I do have "options MROUTING" in my kernel and I=
Pv6 forwarding enabled on each host.
>=20
> I've had the best luck with "mfc": I can get packets to traverse a single r=
outer. However I can't get them to traverse a second one in either direction=
 (though that may or may not be a problem with mfc itself). The big downer o=
f course is that each unicast source and multicast destination has to be exp=
licitly spelled out in each direction in the config file. Not at all scalabl=
e and not compatible with the auto-configuration goals of my project.
>=20
> The one I think I'd like to use is pim6sd. However I have had no luck with=
 either it or pim6dd. Both will run but not pass packets, and they each comp=
lain that they cannot assign the requested ff02::2 address on either interfa=
ce.