Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:09:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with disk and/or ext2?

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Paul Dekkers wrote:

> Hi
>
> I installed ext2 support in my kernel because of linux I'm also running,
> and I want to share the /home directories on 1 disk (and /var/mail
> and mqueue too (I even tried to share /var/spool/uucp but I didn't manage
> to, if someone knows howto, please tell me...))
>
> I manages to, but I saw the following error messages:
> ext2_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block xxxxxxx, count = 1
> (xxx: 369909928 of bijv. 1498235505)
> and:
> Aug 10 22:25:50 gromit /kernel: cks not in datazone - block 4279798105, count = 1
> and:
> ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 76932
>
> Is ext2-support stable and reliable? Can I safely ignore these
> messages? (first one occured during an 'rm', I saw for about 30 of them I
> think in my logfiles). What do they mean?

I'd have to forward those error to hackers@freebsd.org to find the actual
problem, but it looks like part of your ext2fs is damaged.  The ext2fs
support isn't completely bugfree, so mounting your ext2fs's, YMMV.

> BTW, I still don't know how to boot FreeBSD from lilo (FreeBSD on my wd1s1
> (hdb1)), so still switching between the FreeBSD bootmanager (boot.bin) and
> lilo (bootsav.bin), dut don't like this method - does anyone know how to
> boot FreeBSD using lilo?

See the FAQ, I believe it's in there.  http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo