Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 10:50:39 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Anti-Virus scanning interface

Hi all!

I'm preparing to implement Virus scanning on my mail server.

I'm running 4.5 and Sendmail, and I intend to use the Sophos Anti-Virus
Interface (SAVI) to do the Anti-Virus Scanning.

So - to the Question: Which utility would you recommend for grabbing the
mail from Sendmail and handing it over to Sophos?

Possibilities I have seen are Amavis and Inflex.  Perhaps there are
others?  Recently I have heard about Sendmail's "milter" feature.  Will
this do the trick?  Xamime looks great, but I would rather start off
using a free tool, and perhaps buy into the additional features later
(Once I can generate some revenue from my customers:)

My minimum feature list is quite short right now:
1) Easy to install/administer - available in the Ports collection.
2) Reliable handling of attachments.
3) Ability to accept/reject mails based on content/attachment type.
4) Ability to accept/reject mails based on result of Sophos Virus Scan.

Later I will look into ACLs, etc.

Thanks for your comments.
Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.