Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 06:15:56 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, peter@nmti.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, piero@strider.ibenet.it
Subject:   Re: Gritching about XFree86 and serial port naming

>> The main purpose of cuaa0 to multiplex the port, not to disable modem
>> control.  In fact, cuaa0 normally has modem control.

>Hrm. Has this behavior changed in 2.x? I tried using tty00 for dialout on
>1.x and had to switch to cua00, even on a ppp connect with no getty.

It hasn't changed since 1.1.5.  cua00 is for dialout, not for no modem
control.  ttyd0 is for general use.  tty00 was another name for ttyd0
that was forced on you if you ran MAKEDEV to create cua00.  Having 2
names for the same thing caused problems.  They can't exist at the same
time because the device database would be confusing, so MAKEDEV removed
ttyd0 when creating tty00/cua00.  This causes documentation problems.

Bruce