Date:      11 Dec 1998 17:14:43 +0100
From:      Staffan Ulfberg <staffanu@nada.kth.se>
To:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.rg.iupui.edu>
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, chuckr@mat.net, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Jikes (java source -> byte code compiler) released in open-source form

Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.rg.iupui.edu> writes:

> Jikes definitely can handle inner classes. I use it (the Linux version
> of FreeBSD) for my own development for quite some months now and I
> never had any problem that javac would not also have reported. I just
> know my mistakes faster than with javac :-)

I discovered a difference between these two compilers when I switched
to using Jikes.  I don't know Java well enough to know which one is
doing the right thing, however.  I imported java.util.* and
java.awt.*, and used the class List which is present in both packages
without specifying which one.  Only one had the correct parameter
types, however, so javac seems to have decided which one I wanted to
use based on that.  Jikes complained about it.

Also, I've not got my servlets to work using Jikes.  The compile ok,
but somehow fail to load.  Recompiling them with javac make 'em work
again.

So, there definitely are differences in the code they produce, and
sometimes this seems to matter.

Staffan