Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 13:16:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3.1 boot loader question

I am running 3.1-RELEASE on a system with a mix of IDE and SCSI drives.
Everytime I boot, the kernel loads, then tries to switch root to da1s1a.
This is an invalid root.  Root should be on da0s1a.  I have even compiled
into the kernel root on da0, but that does not seem to help.  There have
been two ways I found to correct this:

1. create a /boot.config file with 1:da(0,a)/kernel in it
2. get to a boot loader prompt and set root_disk_unit=0

Both work, but here is my question.  With solution 1, I don't get access
to the cool new boot loader.  I rather like it, and would like to be able
to use it from time to time.  With option 2, I can't autoboot the system.
IT seems I always have to get to a prompt and set that variable.  Is there
a way to save that variable for each boot, or is there a way to make
FreeBSD use da0s1a as root and still use the new BTX loader?  Thanks.
Here are some boot loader stats:

disk 0: Floppy drive
disk 1: IDE internal C: drive with Windows 95
disk 2: SCSI external D: drive with one partition and the following slices
	slice a: FFS (/)
	slice b: swap
	slice e: FFS (/var)
	slice f: FFS (/usr)
	slice g: FFS (/usr/local)
	slice h: FFS (/home)
disk 3: IDE internal E: drive with one partition and the following slices
	slice e: FFS (/usr/ports)
	slice f: FFS (/usr/src)
disk 4: SCSI external ZIP drive
	FAT 32

currdev is set to disk2s1a, but it always panics trying to change root to
da1s1a.

Joe Clarke