Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 00:24:20 +0000
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        mike grommet <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USR Modem heat and silo overflows?

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 08:21:24AM -0500, mike grommet wrote:
> How strange.
>
> No suggestions, but for what its worth, I've got several USR modems in
> freebsd servers and I've never had an overheating problem... or
> ANY problem for that matter.
>
> Very odd.  Have you had this happen before?  (as your message would
> indicate)

I previously owned a US Robotics Sportster 33.6 which began
disconnecting after 30 to 120 minutes.  This took some time to
diagnose.  I cooled this modem using the same fan I've employed
for the 56k modem and the disconnects stopped.  After replacing
this modem, I have experienced only very infrequent disconnects,
which could probably be attributed to various non-problems with
the ISP or the phone company.

At work, our IT department has had to replace several USR 28.8s in
one of our modem pools due to overheating.  My understanding from
searching Usenet is that the USR Sportster 28.8s are particularly
susceptible to heat problems.

I don't claim that any of this speculation about USR Sportsters is
more than anecdotal.  The question I posed is whether an overheated
modem might lead to silo overflows.