Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2017 00:57:11 +0200
From:      Sydney Meyer <meyer.sydney@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox outbound networking

Hi Mike,

yes, a (correct) default route is added and the guest can reach the =
VirtualBox nat-gateway.. oddly enough, the VirtualBox DHCP server seems =
to have passed the hosts resolv.conf and is able to dig dns responses =
with my local-lan dns resolver, but can't ping it.

When a guest digs to my routers dns service, i can see the packets on =
the router coming from hosts IP address, i.e. nat working, but when i =
try to ping it the router, i can't see any packets, neither on the host =
nor on the remote site.
  =20
  =20
> On 9. Jul 2017, at 00:33, Mike Karels <mike@karels.net> wrote:
>=20
>> That is, e.g. in "NAT" mode VirtualBox' own DHCP server hands out =
addresses to guest, which are in turn able to ping the host but can't =
get outside their own networks.