Date:      Sun, 05 Feb 2006 15:25:49 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@BitBlocks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iwi firmware

On 5 Feb 2006 at 12:11, Bakul Shah wrote:

> man iwi says install ports/net/iwi-firmware.
> (cd port/net/iwi-firmware; make)  says
> ===>  iwi-firmware-2.4_2 is configured with iwicontrol(8) which you don't need.
>
> /usr/ports and /sys are uptodate.
>
> What is the correct procedure for putting iwi firmware file
> in /boot/firmware?  Also, is there a way to find out which
> version of firmware is loaded?

I did just that this morning on FreeBDS 6.0.

During the port install, it mentions this:

ipwcontrol -i ipw0 -f /boot/firmware/ipw.fw

As for loading at boot time, I created /etc/start_if.ipw0 and put
this into it:

ifconfig ipw0 ssid DansSecretSSID
ipwcontrol -i ipw0 -f /boot/firmware/ipw.fw

FWIW, I've so far found ipw to be much more stable under 6.0 than it
was under -currnent. Search the archives for my surname and ipw to
see how much fun I was having then with frequent freeze-ups that
required reboots to get anywhere.
--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php