Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 15:32:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: kern/248: scbus attach/probe printf inconsistency

Rodney W. Grimes writes:

> > > sd2(aha0:3:0): Direct-Access 1959MB with 4014054 512 byte sectors.
>
> Please make that:
> sd2(aha0:3:0): Direct-Access 1959MB with 4014054 sectors of 512 bytes
>
> It reads much easier, and drop the trailing period please, probe messages
> have under BSD never had them that I can see.  [There are a few other
> places these need removed]

I shall do so.  I guess the period should be removed; "this sentence no
verb".

> > And with verboseboot it can look like:
> >
> > > (aha0:3:0): "FUJITSU M2654S-512 010P" is a type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> > > sd2(aha0:3:0): Direct-Access 1959MB with 4014054 512 byte sectors
> Hey, what happened to the period? :-) :-)

You found it - it went to the next line.

> > > sd2(aha0:3:0): with 2179 cylinders, 21 heads, and 87 sectors/track.
> Drop the period.
>
> > Not that it matters, but all the info (including sectors/track)
> > is usually from the drive, but the drive makes it up.
>
> What???  I can't find a scsi mode sense that will give me sectors/track
> no place in the *standard*.  I can find stuff in the vendor uniq to
> get zones and sizes of zones, but that is about it.

(You can also use READ CAPACITY to get the zones using a PMI bit of one and
I suppose that "notch page" page works for some drives. But who cares?
Actually, some multi media and "real time to disk" types probably care)

You're right, it is the flexible disk page that has sector/track.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936