Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 1996 21:02:15 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WARNING: botched ld.so commit! :-(

sos@freebsd.org wrote:

> > It's been pointed out to me that I managed to royally screw up my commit
> > to the rtld/ld.so code, in just about the worst possible way on the only
> > file in the entire system that's vulnerable to this type of screwup.
>

> Damn, where is that pointy hat, damn who had it last ?? :) :)

Yeah, especially considering the only two tools that can easily fix it are
dynamically linked :-(  (chflags and install).

In case it's any help to anybody, I've uploaded a static linked chflags
executable (and a working ld.so) to ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/peter/*.
  /bin/rcp is statically linked on most FreeBSD systems, so getting
executables to a nearby machine may be enough to get out of the jam.

Oh, another thought.. from a root login:
# /bin/mv /usr/libexec /usr/libexec.fubar
# /bin/mkdir /usr/libexec
# /bin/cp /whereever/ld.so /usr/libexec
# chflags noschg /usr/libexec.fubar/ld.so
# cp /wherever/ld.so /usr/libexec.fubar
# mv /usr/libexec /usr/libexec.fresh
# mv /usr/libexec.fubar /usr/libexec

(I think I'll leave for Antarctica before anybody catches me... :-] )

-Peter