Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:19:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
To:        fabienderudder@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: two graphic boards on the same computer

> DOes anyone know how to setup two graphic boards on the same computer,
> running different apps on the two displays ? I didn't find any relevant
> information in the XF86 doc, so if someone has some experience or doc
> concerning that kind of things...

I have not done that, but as far as I remember it is possible.

This is roughly how it is likely to work:

You will have two display environment variable settings, let's say

    DISPLAY=:0.0

in one shell and

    DISPLAY=:1.0

(or was it :0.0 and :0.1? :)

in another.

Then you will have not only to start the usual XServer at :0.0
but a second one for the :0.1 display.

Let's try it for fun with one graphics card:

    X :1 &

You should now run a second X server.

On this box here I can switch with Alt-F7 and Alt-F8 between both X11
servers (the exact keys depend on your /etc/ttys or so terminal settings
file)

Now on the old display hack this into a sh or bash shell

    export DISPLAY=:1
    xterm

This means you route all X11 output from that session to the
new display 1 and then open an xterm there.

Switch to your new X server and you will have a xterm there.

What you now need to achieve is to start/assign the two servers
to the two cards, instead of one.

This should be possible by some command line option.
I assume also that you might define a second card
and eventually a second monitor in your XF86config.

Anyway, it is likely that one of the guys here with a
running two or three card configiration (Greg?) will answer
this for you..

Regards,
Marc