Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 23:18:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Christopher J. Booth" <cbooth@ritz.mordor.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installation of FreeBSD

On Sun, 14 Jan 1996, Christopher J. Booth wrote:

> I have just purchased the Walnut Creek FreeBSD CD-ROM and a PC. The PC has
> an internal IDE CD_ROM player, from Panasonic, and I can't get it to read
> the disk, although there is no problem with Windows.

Is this a Matsushita/SoundBlaster CD or a IDE/ATAPI?

> I assume that this is
> because the CD-ROM player is unsupported by a FreeBSD driver.

Or just mis/unconfigured.

> But when I
> try to install from the DOS partition I keep getting hung up at the "label
> editor." My hard disk is wd0. I have a small DOS/Windows partition and then
> an extended partition. The remaining space on the hard drive is labeled
> "wd0s3." But I keep getting the following message:
>
> No root device found - you must label a partition as / in the label editor.
>
> I have tried many different combinations trying to follow the guide in the
> help info, but none are accepted. What should my partition be labeled as?

Well, you should have a disklabel that looks something like this (this is
running from memory so help me ...)

wd0 (wd0 info here....)
---

wd0a     xxMB  UFS Y   /
wd0b     xxMB  SWAP
wd0e     xxMB  UFS Y   /usr
                       ^^^^  These are the mountpoints you need to set.
Use the M command (???) to set the mountpoint on wd0a to '/', wd0e to
'/usr' and so on.

If you're confused, try hitting 'a' to put in the ``defaults''.  That
should clarify things.  Or try 'H'.

Hope this helps, it's been a while since I've been in install :-)

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant