Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 1997 07:47:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        nathan@senate.org (Nathan Dorfman)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICMP Logging

Nathan Dorfman wrote:

> Is there a way for the kernel to syslog(3) all ICMP messages? This would serve
> two purposes; a) as I have all syslog messages directed to an unused vty I
> could observer such DoS attacks in progress and b) if they are stored in the
> log files I could use the logs in case the matter needed to be pursued further.

	use the "log" option in ipfw for icmp packets

	for instance:
	ipfw add <rule#> allow log icmp from any to any

	dont forget the default rule:
	65535 deny all from any to any

	so allow any traffic you want, even if its all traffic
	ipfw add <rule#> allog all from any to any

> If this is not a part of the current kernel, it would (IMO) be a very good
> addition to -current and -stable. If you *are* planning on adding it soon,
> please let me know and I'll hold off my upgrade (I'm currently running 2.2.1-
> RELEASE and wanted to upgrade to -stable).

	ipfw has been in the source tree since 94.10.28
jmb