Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:29:20 -0500
From:      rafege@mail.com (Gary E. RAFE, Ph.D.)
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   WiFi Access Point Discovery Tools ?

We're getting ready for our holiday travels
to visit family back east, and I'm looking for
a working WiFi access point discovery tool
for my Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 running 5.3-R.
The internal MiniPCI WiFi card on wi0 is Lucent-based,
and the USR2401 PCCARD on wi1 is Prism2-based.

"dstumbler" from the bsd-airtools (0.3) package
doesn't work for either card
(it does, however, work on our other Toshiba still running
4.8-R to discover our local access point with "dstumbler wi0 -s"
using the same two WiFi cards),
and the kismet package doesn't find our local access point
with the Lucent MiniPCI card on wi0.

Pointers on either (1) a known working WiFi AP discovery tool
for 5.3-R or (2) how to make dstumbler work on 5.3-R
will be appreciated !
--
Gary E. RAFE, Ph.D.	<mailto:rafege@mail.com>
Please do not send me HTML-encoded mail.