Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:40:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   pcmcia ed0 driver/Thinkpad question

Hello all

I'm trying to run a Network Anywhere NP100 10/100 NIC card in my Thinkpad
600e. According to the docs this uses the ed(4) driver. Now, I've got a
vanilla 4.6.2 install on the Thinkpad and everything works great.

However, when I insert the NIC, I get a bunch of debug output from pccardd
on ttyv0 and the box refuses to accept any input until the card is
ejected, at which point I regain control of it. Using pciconf and dmesg, I
don't see any direct hardware conflicts. Anybody have any idea why this is
happening?

Also, when the NIC is inserted, the opsys attaches it to an interface at
ed1 - I was expecting ed0 since there are no other ed-type NICs in the box
- any reason why it's skipping ed0? Or is this nothing to worry about?

I can provide debug output if needed, but I'll hafta type it all in
manually ;-)

Thanks in advance for any advice - JB

PS: For reference, before posting to this list, I re-installed the opsys
(4.6.2) to clear out any manual changes I made to the system. This is a
clean 4.6.2 install, unmodified in any way. The card still eats my
Thinkpad.

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg