Date:      Wed, 01 Jul 1998 09:31:30 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Garcia, Joe D. (WANG)" <garciajd@bp.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upcoming version upgrades?

>I was told by a person who is a UNIX admin that he was reading that
>freebsd will not be going further than version 4.4 and that I had to
>make a decision on whether I would go with Linux or freebsd, they are
>both excellent operating systems, but the freebsd is alot more stable.

   Your admin is confused. FreeBSD is entirely independant of the BSD
from UCB (which stopped at v4.4). I don't know how many versions we'll
be doing of FreeBSD, but I expect the project to live and continue
actively with development for at least another 10 years and I wouldn't
be surprised if it lived for 20 years or more.

-DG

David Greenman