Date:      Mon, 01 Aug 2011 22:03:40 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Phenom II 975 BE shows 0 celsius

[cc list trimmed]

on 01/08/2011 19:23 Jung-uk Kim said the following:
> I gave up the DiodeOffset recently because a lot of BIOSes do not set
> any meaningful values.  Instead, I added a tunable for that.  Please
> see the attached patch, which is also available from here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/amdtemp.diff

I haven't tried your patch yet, but already have a few comments :-)

- at least on head pci_cfgregread() is public via x86/include/pci_cfgreg.h

- I am not sure if you really need it; shouldn't pci_read_config() just work
since amdtemp attaches under pci bus?

- about erratum 319 - I feel like objecting to amdtemp_force_enable approach;
given the wide spread of AM2+ and AM3 in consumer boards, and the very important
fact that I have AM2+ and I have never observed (with my own eyes) incorrect
reading from amdtemp, and the less important fact that the output of amdtemp is
not used for anything critical (for anything at all, in fact) in the base
system, and that that would be a kind of POLA violation (which is PITA) - I
propose to just print some warning message on the affected systems; at most,
export that warning as a sysctl node

Finally, I promise to test this patch soon-ish.
Thank you for digging into this!

--
Andriy Gapon