Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:44:37 +0200
From:      "Ralf Folkerts" <ralf.folkerts@ps-sangross.de>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Serial Printer & XON/XOFF Prob...

Hi,

I have a problem with a serial Printer that is connected to a FreeBSD 2.2.6 Machine that acts as Print-Server for our Workgroup. I already read thru Handbook, FAQ and also searched the Mailing-List-Archive, but didn't find what I was looking for :-(

The Printer is a OkiLaser 800 (yepp, somewhat old). When connected via the parallel-port it works fine. However, when we connect the printer thru the serial port we usually get a "Error Receicve / Buffer Overflow" from the printer, about when it starts printing the first page, when printing longer Documents.

The printer is set to Serial I/F and XON-Handshake - can't use Hardware-Handshake as it's connected thru our in-house cabling system that only offers 4 wires :-( It's only configured fo no parity...

So, I tried out TANDEM and many other things I found in /usr/include/sys/ioctl_compat.h; none helped. I also tried out "combinations"  I found in Mails in the Mail-Archive - none brought the breakthrough...

So, could anybody please help me with this problem?? Must be solveable, I think :-))

Here's the /etc/printcap-Entry as it's currently looking ;-)

---<<<---
Okilaser 800|Netz:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/ttyd0:br#9600:fs#0x0c1:xs#0x0c1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/netz:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/if-simple:

--->>>---

For any hints MTIA,
_ralf_