Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:39:48 +0000
From:      Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com>
To:        David Hughes <dghughes82@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtual Hosts & Subdomains

On 16/03/2012 18:19, David Hughes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Forgive me if this is slightly off-topic, but I wonder if I could
> trouble you for some advice about setting up website subdomains with
> Apache. I currently have a website up and running on a jailed VPS;
> I've been trying to set up subdomains so that one might navigate to a
> certain area of the site by using a URL of the form blog.mywebsite.net
> rather than mywebsite.net/blog.
>
> I've tried reading the official Apache documentation and a number of
> tutorials that I've found online, but nothing I've tried has worked so
> far. Do Virtual Hosts behave differently if they're within a jail? Or
> do I need some sort of DNS registration for subdomains? I've been
> trying to figure it out by myself, with little success so far - I'm
> quite new to this.

If you post a sample virtualhost config people can comment and point out
suggestions..   (there's a couple of ways to do it.)

yes, you need subdomains to have DNS entries ( or hosts file entries at
the least).

Jails will be irrelevant, other than ensuring that the IP for the
virtual host, and the jailed apache is correct/reachable.

Paul.

> Thanks for your help,
>
> David

-------------------------
Paul Macdonald
IFDNRG Ltd
Web and video hosting
-------------------------
t: 0131 5548070
m: 07970339546<<PLEASE NOTE NEW MOBILE<<
e: paul@ifdnrg.com
w: http://www.ifdnrg.com
IFDNRG
40 Maritime Street