Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 12:06:02 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stereo RealAudio for FreeBSD!

>From The Desk Of Charles Henrich :
> > Well, I doubt that Real audio needs to license the mpeg encoders or
> > decoders.
> >
> >It will be interesting to compare mpeg 28.8kb mpeg stream against real audio
's
> >latest codec for 28.8...
>
> MPEG doesnt drop to 28.8...
>
> Im not interested in low bandwidth <128kbps audio transmissions because even
> the best are unnacceptable to me.  I can listen to kissFM finland at ~110kbps
> and listen to perfect stereo CD music thats just incredible.  Im a high quali
ty
> kinda guy :)

Look I know where you are coming from is just that mpeg streams at
112kb does not compare with RA's 28.8 streams. If we are going to
compare high speed codecs we shall look into Dolby AC3 and have
CD quality plus if you want to you can decode surround sound.

As for the FreeBSD mpeg encoding /decoding we should write an
utility with a nice tk or X interface :

o ability to record audio from sound card  or CD audio
o ability to encode mpeg audio at various rates
o juke box play back type functionality ... select audio files and order
  to play them back

Write an RTPV2 based tool to transmit mpeg audio files

	Cheers,
	Amancio