Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 17:44:18 +1100
From:      Andrew Johns <ajohns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   root_device r/o

Prob:  I took my 2nd IDE drive out of my PC and put it in an old 486 to
act as server.

The disk is not dedicated and in the original PC it was wd1s1a, b, etc -
no problems here.

After putting it in the 486 I discovered that the BIOS wouln't detect
the drive (only handles < 2GB and drive is 3.2G [WDAC33200L])

No problemo - downloaded Western Digital driver, installed EZ-BIOS,
voila! BUT all partition info lost - should have seen that coming.

Restored track 0, added a floppy, created a boot floppy, booted from it,
entered wd(0,a)/blah at the boot prompt and yahoo - booting.

BUT I cannot mount the root partition r/w.

I changed the fstab entry to wd0a and then to wd0s1 without any gains.

How did I manage this on a r/o root fs - this is the bit that gets me -
I can mount wd0s1 r/w on /mnt with no problems - everything is there.  I
can even edit files on it, but it will not mount as /

Thanks in advance to any/all that can help.

PS: It was formatted under 2.2.6 as the 2nd IDE drive and upgraded to
2.2.7 - no newfs was done during the upgrade (obviously).  The upgrade
to 2.2.7 fixed the naming (wd1a -> wd1s1a) however now it's back to
wd0a, b, etc. since it's now the only drive in the box.