Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:07:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd event -- possible security hole or DoS?

> >I can't even begin to remember all of the TCP, kernel and application
> >bugs fixed in the 2 1/2 years since 2.2.8.  There are probably a
> >number of ways someone could have caused something like this.
>
> I guess what I'm concerned about is that I don't know if it's
> an intentional DoS and/or if it's present in current versions.

There were at least 3 remote vulnerabilities in 2.2.8 TCP/IP stack, and
2-3 vulnerabilities in the shipped software.

Fixes to the stack were merged into the code-base a long time back,
although the shipped software (BIND and SENDMAIL were two of the them)
require you back-porting the software to the box.  (Trivial to do).

Inetd may have had problems as well, but I believe they were DOS types,
related to local users and not remote users.

Nate