Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:22:05 +0100
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Koop Mast <kwm@rainbow-runner.nl>
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testers with U10/Creator wanted

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 03:34:52PM +0100, Koop Mast wrote:
> Op di, 15-02-2005 te 02:04 +0100, schreef Marius Strobl:
> >People who tried syscons(4) on Ultra 10 in the past reported a hang
> >during boot after the screen is blanked. I managed to reproduce and
> >fix this on a Sun AXi board. Could someone with a Creator(3D) or
> >Elite3D equipped Ultra 10 please give the patch at:
> >http://alchemy.franken.de/~marius/delay_fix.diff
> >a try to see if it also solves the problem there? It shouldn't matter
> >if you are running -stable or -current.
>
> My hero!
>
> Works fine on my Ultra10 here.
>
> # Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 360MHz), No Keyboard
> # OpenBoot 3.31, 1024 MB (60 ns) memory installed, Serial #xxxxxxxx.
>
> Only my monitor doesn't want to display anything. Probably a local
> problem. Maybe something non related to the patch.

The patch fixes DELAY() which would never return in certain situations
when used early in boot. The excessive use of DELAY() in uart(4) when
probing	Sun keyboards seems to always manage to trigger this.
If you don't get display output then this should be another issue.
Does the monitor work before FreeBSD is booted, i.e. do you see the
Open Firmware banner etc.?
So far I got one other reply in private mail stating that syscons(4)
would work on U10 with the patch. Did the patch change anything for
you, i.e. did you try syscons(4) on your U10 in the past and also
got the mentioned hang?

> I'm going to test this also on a Ultra1 with a creator card (non-3D).
> But that can take a little while.

As far as I can tell only UltraSparc II[e,i] based systems are affected
by this issue so the patch shouldn't make any difference on an U1.
Have you tried syscons(4) on that U1 before? There's probably a nit
with creator(4) and old Creator cards that should be fixed but so far
I didn't find a Creator card that is "old enough" to be affected. Could
you please send me the output of `ofwdump -a -p` of that machine?

Marius