Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 01:49:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Nick Lozinsky <nl3481@wi.rr.com>
Cc:        "P.B. Ruiter" <pruiter@indigored.com>, Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /usr/home on separate disk?

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Nick Lozinsky wrote:

> No, no, no...when you are trying to link a device from /dev, you just specify
> the device, so do this:
>
> ln -sf /dev/ad1s1e /usr/home
>
> "P.B. Ruiter" wrote:
>
> > I tried
> >
> > ln -sf /dev/ad1s1e/usr/home /dev/ad0s1g/usr/home
> >
> > which is an Operation Not Supported. How can I distinguish /usr/home on ad1
> > from /usr/home on ad0?

When you mount /usr/home on the other drive (e) it makes the previous
/home on /usr inaccessible, as far as I know, but does not destroy it.
You can experiment by putting a unique file in your /usr/home on
ad1s1e.
Without ad1s1e mounted, you should be able to get to the /usr/home on
ad0s1g.  You could try mv'ing the home to a new name to see if you still
see it after /usr/home is mounted (thus enable you to move some stuff if
you like).  Once you start playing with fstab, though, it is good to have
a strategy for getting back in and fixing things in case you get into an
unbootable situation, e.g., home directory does not exist. The symbolic
link for home (to /usr/home) should work for either situation and need
not be changed, it seems to me.

I have a couple systems where I use /usr/local (including /usr/local/home)
as a separate file system, so the various ports as well as my home
directory get installed there and the base systems stays relatively
in its original state (and can thus be upgraded from scratch without
disturbing home directories or installed software.  It depends on what
you want to do.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC