Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2006 01:31:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nash Nipples <trashy_bumper@yahoo.com>
To:        lukem.freebsd@cse.unsw.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble booting NFS root

Hi, sorry, im new to this FreeBSD but um, the only quick thing i can think of is to make sure you have this:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel diskless_root/etc/rc

if yes then you might want to put this string at the top of your diskless_root/etc/rc:

/bin/sh #which points your rc file to shell so that you are your own rc!

and make it chmod 755 diskless_root/etc/rc

now wen your little beastie starts you do the config steps with your own hands and then just correct the rc file. actually when i had those trouble days i used to write custom rc files generating memory disks at boot and so fourth.

have fun, it musta work. there is something in the configs

Sincerely
Nash

do it yourself and then hit ctrl-D and hoopla
lukem.freebsd@cse.unsw.edu.au wrote: I'm trying to set up a small cluster of diskless boxes using FreeBSD 6.1.

So Far, PXE loads pxeboot which loads the kernel.

But the kernel stops in the middle of booting for no apparent reason. The
last thing on the console is "Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec", which
usually occurs just before the root partition is mounted.

When I do a traffic dump on the NFS server, I see:

mount /mnt/local/tinny/root
lookup /etc
lookup fstab.split (this fails as there is no /etc/fstab.split)
mount /mnt/local/tinny/root
lookup /etc
lookup /etc/fstab.gz.split (also fails)
mount /mnt/local/tinny/root
lookup /etc
lookup /etc/fstab.gz (also fails)
mount /mnt/local/tinny/root
lookup /etc
lookup /etc/fstab (this time it succeeds)
read from filehandle (contents of /etc/fstab look correct in packet)
second read from the filehandle (returns empty --- I assume this is EOF)

/mnt/local/tinny/fstab contains: